Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I really don't know where to put myself in the "Twilight fan" category...on the one hand, I loved (and still do love) the books. And yet, when the movies are out, they always seem to fall short...but then I still do go watch them every time it opens in cinemas. LOL! Maybe it's the cast (??!!), or maybe I'm just trying to see what the film makers come up with when they interpret the book...either way, I think I'll still be back to watch the movies until the end of the series. LOL!

"Eclipse" was my favourite book in the series, so I went in with a little bit of anticipation - seeing that the trailer for the movie was quite good - and hoping that they don't spoil the book too much! 

The opening scene with Riley is quite promising...even though it is a slight deviation from the book, but it set the tone for what was to come towards the end, which is quite good =) New director David Slade certainly brings out better material than "New Moon"'s Chris Weitz (but then again, I suppose "New Moon" itself is not a great book to bring to the silver screen in the first place...too dry & morose!). And what comes later in the film is shot rather nicely, with definite better CG and effects. 

Don't think I'll elaborate more on the plot, since everyone already knows what the book is about (if you don't, Google is your best friend! *wink*) but suffice to say that Bella had been proposed to, and she is rather torn between Edward and Jacob, since Edward has come back and Jacob...well, Jacob has his views on who she should love =)

"From now on, I'm Switzerland!" *rolls eyes*

The cast are mostly about the same...we get the Cullen family, the Quileute boys, and some of the Volturi. But there are some other new faces too, like Leah Clearwater (Julia Jones), Seth (Boo Boo Stewart), Riley (Xavier Samuel), and Bree (Jodelle Ferland). Not really big characters, but they are quite memorable, especially Riley. Xavier Samuel is quite a looker and brings the anger to his cute face rather well =) Can't say the same about Victoria though...somehow, I think Bryce Dallas Howard can't pull off the 'scorned vampire whose handsome boyfriend got killed by another handsome vampire' look as well as Rachelle Lefevre. Maybe it's her hair...she had some kind of a bush for hair and it's so distracting (!!), not like Rachelle's natural auburn curls. Still, she is gorgeous as a vampire...her pale face and red lips are just nice!

Can't say the same about some other vampires though...ESPECIALLY the Cullens, with a particular note on Edward since he's the main thing you see throughout the movie. I guess the make up crew didn't get the memo about NOT making vampires being too pale that they stood out from the other 'normal' people in the movie. Some scenes between the cast in the school just makes me go "Edward looks like a zombie instead of a gorgeous vampire trying to blend in amongst humans". And the hair! That perfectly coiffed hair from "Twilight" is gone...*sob* Oh well, people don't come to watch the movie for the make up and wardrobe right (speaking of which, is particularly non-existent for Bella! I doubt that she's THAT poor to not able to get a proper dress for the party...what happened to Alice helping her out?)? I digress...

What I do like about the movie though is the expansion of some of the Cullens' characters in the movie...granted, the book does talk about Rosalie and Jasper's backstories, but it's really nice to see it played out on film. It's almost exactly how I pictured it in my head...which I loved! *wink* The camping scene is also something to watch...I finally found that Kristen Stewart can act cold very convincingly! LOL! That, and some very choice words from Jacob about being "hotter" than Edward just brings it home...=) The big battle between the newborns and the Cullens (together with the wolves) is also something to watch. Although not a very long scene, but it's great to see that they followed through with the vampires being 'hard as marble'. Although the battle between Victoria and Edward wasn't what I expected, but it's still quite a nice thing to watch...gosh, I feel so sadistic saying that I liked people getting killed. LOL!

Wolves and vampires get it on!

In short, it was not bad for an adaptation of the nicest book in the series (for me). Sure, I would miss Edward's nice hair, they could do better with the make up and wardrobe, and there are still cheesy (yet funny that can go both ways) lines; but essentially the story line is good with commendable effort from the film makers in making the movie watchable =) This makes me rather curious too as to what "Breaking Dawn" will offer...it will be directed by yet another director but this guy did "Dreamgirls" previously so I'm hoping it's another step up....and no musical-like qualities in it coz the movie is no musical! Although, it would be rather funny to see Edward & Bella burst into song when Renesmee is born...LOLL! *wicked grin*
0 Responses