Diary Of A Wimpy Kid

Oh man, it's been so long since I've updated. Here goes my first attempt at a book review. *grins*

The "Diary Of A Wimpy Kid" series actually consists about 4-5 books if I'm not mistaken. I have only read the 3 pictured here thanks to my 7-year-old niece. (I still find it hard to grasp that kids nowadays progress so darn fast! At 7, I think my reading capability was only relegated to maybe nursery rhymes or the "Peter & Jane" books. How times have changed, no?)

Yes, in essence it is kind of a kid's book since it talks about a boy in middle school (which if I remember correctly would be the age around 11 - 14??). Heck, even the writings and illustrations reflect that. But what's great about the books is the humour injected into them. Written in a diary style, we go through the book in the eyes of Greg, who is kind of just a normal kid with the usual stuff that kids get (big brother issues, bullied by other kids, etc etc), only he's kind of a smart aleck too, coming up with 'weird' ideas and smart-but-will-get-you-in-trouble answers. Oh, and let's not forget his big ego when it comes to comparing himself with other kids his age....it's hillarious, especially looking at the way he compares himself to his best friend & sidekick Rowley (my idea of a bumbling but adorable character played to a T! Too cute!)

Accompanying the entries are all these illustrations (also done by the author) that just bring the jokes more humour. Simple as they are, they are effective and summarizes Greg's experiences very well. Somehow, the illustrations remind me a little of Calvin and Hobbes, but this time the main character is 12 and his sidekick is not a stuffed tiger, but a 6-year-old kid stuck in a 12-year-old kid's body. *grins*

One example of the hillarious illustrations in the books

All in all, one cool book that I'm not ashamed to say I've read even though it's a children's book (in a way). And who would have thought kids' books can be so entertaining? I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series...hopefully I'll find more time to do that! The first book is being made into a movie, and tentative release date is in May! Looking at the trailer, it looks about as funny as it was in the books, so I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint!
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    I agree its a purse!