Betty's Midwest Kitchen - A Must Try!

Whoa...can't believe it's been literally AGES since I've updated! I guess with Facebook being such an easy way to show people photos and all, I've been slacking and lazy to update my blogs. I shall try very hard to remember to update more often! *nods*

Okay, on to business (so to speak!). Being so bored (and stressed....in a way) at work and all, I went out with a few friends for dinner. Y asked me to bring along my camera, so I knew it would be good food coz she knows her stuff! *wink* We arrived at:

Betty's Midwest Kitchen! American food again...YAYY! 
The address:
A-G-40, Jalan PJU 1/43,
Aman Suria Damansara,
47301 Petaling Jaya

They even have a website: http://midwestkitchen.com.my/


Walking into Betty's Midwest Kitchen is like walking into a tribute place for all things American...they have so many mementos and pictures that are either American or symbolizes America. I thought it was a nice touch =) Being a weekend, it was fully packed with people...a sure sign that the food is awesome if not unnaturally good! *wink*


Some more photos of the decor in the restaurant...notice the piggies' photos on the wall? Yes, they serve pork!! YUMMM!! *grins* 


Our first order of the day...Ham and Tomato Soup. To me, when I hear the word 'Ham' I automatically think of those breakfast ham slices that we get from the supermarket....and that's what I would find in the soup. How wrong was I! The soup had generous helpings of tomatoes and vegetables (think carrots, celery, parsley, etc etc) as well as chunks of pork in it! Looking up "ham" online, I found out that ham is also cured pork legs or rump....AWESOME! You get this smokey taste from the ham as well as the combined vegetables' tastes in this....*licks lips*


Y's good friend, A ordered this: Baby Back Ribs, one of Betty's signature dishes. Look at them ribs! Grilled until tender and juicy, it's served with fries, coleslaw and a beer-based sauce that is oh-so-GOOD! I had a teensy bit of this, and I have a hankering to come back and order this dish the next time I'm around...YUMM!!


Another signature pork rib dish as well: Grilled Soft Ribs (also served with the beer based sauce). I didn't manage to get a taste of this, but from the looks of it you can already tell that it's AWESOME!!


Somehow the appetizers arrived in the midst of the main course...LOL! But that didn't stop us from nomming every single morsel of this dish! They called this "Pigs In a Blanket"...I found a recipe that is similar, and needless to say, both are drool-worthy! You really can't go wrong with sausages wrapped in bacon and subsequently baked / grilled...*wink* I should also mention that they have many cute names for their dishes...one that I find particularly funny was called "Dog Food". LOL! Nah, it's not actual dog food, but it's fries with gravy and cheese....come to think of it, I think Scottie might just wolf it down! LOLL!


This was a special for the day...can't exactly remember the whole name (it was too long!) but it was something like President Ford's braised steak. Served with greens and mashed potatoes, I think one can't go wrong with this....*grins*


Again, going with the cute names, this was the Braised Boston Butt...LOL! I know, right? It's technically not taken from the pig's butt (it's a pork shoulder), but I guess from the way it's cut and all, it looked like a butt? LOLL! I'm just rambling...but this was done really well! The pork shoulder was grilled JUST RIGHT and the meat just falls away when you slice into it...VERY tasty with the sauce slathered on top!


Finally, this was my order: Pork Chop with Caramelized Apples. When I saw the name, I thought, "Hmm...caramelized apples. That's interesting!" Images of an actual caramel apple (like this) on the pork chop started forming...but when this arrived I was a little disappointed to be honest. LOL! Still, all was forgiven when I took that first bite...the pork chop was smothered in apple sauce not unlike those you can find in apple pies! I know it might sound off-putting, but it actually works! The sauce wasn't as sweet as an apple pie, but when coupled with the marinated pork chop you get this nice combination that just screams 'comfort food'....I can easily see myself eating this whenever I'm feeling upset. Heh! Served with mashed potatoes (which were also AWESOME! Silky and creamy, with just enough gravy to make you go "MMMMM"), caramelized onions and peas, it was a dish I never regretted ordering =)


With that being said, head on down to Betty's if you want to savour good pork dishes or just hearty American food...I definitely heart it! Speaking of it just makes me hungry again...anyone up for a trip there? *wink*
2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    oh the horror of good food!!!
    *runs away*